Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

When classes are over for the holidays and/or the academic year, Harmony Hall residence hall and the Brodhead Bistro dining facility are closed. During this time, students must leave their residence hall room and find alternative housing. Typically, these closings occur for one week during the fall break and one week during the spring break.

The closings happen again for several weeks between the close of the 2013 fall semester in December and the beginning of the 2014 spring semester in January. The majority of campus students return to their homes during this time, but we know that sometimes that's not an option for many international students. 

Penn State isn't responsible for finding alternative accommodations for you during these breaks, but we're definitely here to help you find a place to stay. For assistance or information, please contact Jill Bender, staff assistant, Office of Residence Life, 724-773-3959.

Alternatives that have worked for our students include:

  1. Going home with a friend or roommate - Many international students quickly make friends with students who live in Harmony Hall and/or student(s) in their classes. Some international students have the opportunity to spend a week staying with their friend(s) during these closings. However, please note that Penn State isn't responsible for making these arrangements for you. You and your friend(s) must plan this together.
  2. Traveling and/or staying in a hotel/motel - Some international students travel during this time and/or stay in an area hotel/motel. For assistance in finding a hotel/motel and/or making travel arrangements, please contact Jill Bender, staff assistant, Office of Residence Life, 724-773-3959. However, please note that each student is responsible for paying all of his/her travel and accommodation expenses.
  3. Staying with a host family arranged through Global Pittsburgh (www.globalpittsburgh.com) - Penn State Beaver is a member of Global Pittsburgh, a non-profit organization that helps to connect international students in and around the Pittsburgh area. One of the opportunities this program provides is to find a host family for you to meet and/or live with temporarily. Please note that there's a fee associated with this service, but it's significantly lower than expenses you will incur by staying in a hotel/motel. If you're interested in learning more about this option, please contact Jill Bender, staff assistant, Office of Residence Life, 724-773-3959.

Closing and Opening Dates for Harmony Hall - Fall Semester 2013 and Spring Semester 2014

Fall Semester 2013 - Thanksgiving Break - No classes - Monday through Friday, November 25-29, 2013
Harmony Hall closes at noon, Saturday, November 23, 2013.
Harmony Hall re-opens at 11:00 a.m., Sunday, December 1, 2013.

Fall Semester 2013 - Finals Week 
Final exams - Monday through Friday, December 16-20, 2013
Harmony Hall closes at noon, Saturday, December 21, 2013.

Spring Semester 2014 - First Day of Classes - Monday, January 13, 2014
Harmony Hall re-opens at 11:00 a.m., Sunday, January 12, 2014.

Spring Semester 2014 - Spring Break - No classes - Sunday through Saturday, March 9-15, 2014
Harmony Hall closes at noon, Saturday, March 8, 2014.
Harmony Hall re-opens at 11:00 a.m., Sunday, March 16, 2014.

Spring Semester 2014 - Finals Week - Monday through Friday, May 5-9, 2014
Harmony Hall closes at 2:00 p.m., Saturday, May 10, 2014.