To be eligible for federal and state financial aid, students must:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. Penn State's FAFSA School Code is 003329. * See note below.
- Be enrolled/accepted in an eligible program of study.
- Be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduate students, 5 credits at the 400 level or above for graduate students).
- Have a high school diploma, a GED, or a passing "ability to benefit" test.
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security Number.
- Be registered with the Selective Service (if male between the ages of 18-25).
- Not have eligibility suspended or terminated due to drug-related conviction.
- Not be in default on a federal student loan.
- Not owe repayment of a federal grant.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the higher education institution.
* TIP: While it is not required, it is highly recommended that students/parents submit the FAFSA using a federal Personal Identification Number (PIN). Using a PIN, rather than "paper signatures," can cut the federal processing time to just a couple of weeks.
- Financial Aid