Who is an adult learner?
- Students who are 24 years of age or older
- Veterans of the armed services
- Active-duty service members
- Those who are returning to school after four or more years of employment, homemaking, or other activity
- Those who assume multiple adult roles, such as parent, spouse/partner, student, employee
About returning to the classroom
Adult students often enter the college environment feeling anxious and uncertain about their ability to succeed and compete successfully with more traditional students. However, current research says that adult students are typically more successful than younger students becaue of the maturity and experience they bring to the classroom.
Adults are most likely to exhibit high levels of motivation, more specific career goals, and an uncompromising desire to get the best, most effective education possible. Penn State provides a variety of services for adult learners, including a career and personal counselor and the resources offered through the Center for Academic Achievement. There are also clubs and organizations designed to help adult students succeed in college and beyond.
Why become an adult learner?
As an adult learner at Penn State Beaver, you'll have unlimited potential. You can:
- Seek professional guidance and support along the way.
- Select from degree, certificate, and non-credit programs.
- Receive special admissions consideration regarding standardized test scores and high school grade point average (GPA).
- Interact with a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff from all areas of the country and the world.
- Accumulate college credits that will transfer to other learning institutions.
- Earn a Penn State certificate or degree that's known and respected around the world.
- Check out our TV commercial for even more reasons!
Are you a low-income or first-generation student?
- Free help with admissions and financial aid is available through the Educational Opportunity Center.
Freqently Asked Questions
Click here for answers to questions about returning to the classroom. Learn more »
How to apply to Penn State Beaver
Explore this website to review degrees, certificates, and course offerings.
Send all official transcripts to:
Penn State Beaver
100 University Drive
Monaca, PA 15061
Your official transcripts may include:
- High school transcript or GED
- Any prior college transcripts
- Military transcripts, copy of DD214
Schedule a visit to speak with a Beaver admissions counselor and tour our beautiful campus. It's best to schedule a visit after all of your transcripts have been received by the Admissions Office. To obtain more information or schedule an appointment, please contact us toll-free at 1-877-JOIN-PSU or email@example.com.
You can apply for admission to Penn State Beaver online, or you can request a hard copy application by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Penn State’s FASFA code is 003329.
- Nontraditional Students
- Financial Aid