Home Campus Directory | A-Z Index

Penn State Beaver welcomes students with disabilities into the University's educational programs. If you have a disability-related need for reasonable academic adjustments, we can help you to receive those adjustments and prepare you to accomplish your academic goals.  


The following process will ensure that the University is best able to assist you:

  1. Meet with Ms. Jill Tress, disabilities contact liaison (DCL), to provide intake information and documentation from your medical doctor, neurologist, psychologist, or psychiatrist concerning your disability as well as to file the necessary paperwork to establish your case.
  2. Your information must be current. If it is too old, which may vary depending on your diagnosis, you may need to return to your doctor for an update on your condition. For some conditions, this may require re-testing.
  3. If your documentation is appropriate, complete, and up to date according to the above website, you will be awarded academic accommodations.
  4. Letters will be prepared for your faculty members, stating your needs only. Your professors will not be apprised of your diagnosis, which is strictly confidential. You will hand deliver your letters to each of your professors, preferably at the very beginning of each semester, so they will know who you are.
  5. You must meet with your professors to discuss your needs and how they will be satisfied within the context of each course. An out-of-class appointment will probably be necessary.
  6. You must be responsible for your own needs! Make sure you see the DCL often to get the help you need, and check back to address any problems or further needs that arise as the semester progresses.
  7. You will be responsible for keeping appointments with professors and tutors (if needed) as well as borrowing assistive devices from the Center for Academic Achievement.
  8. You will need to go through the process of obtaining Letters of Accommodation each semester. The DCL will not automatically alert your professors of any disability until you ask for this service. Usually, your initial documentation will suffice for the entire time your are taking classes at Beaver campus. 

If you become temporarily impaired due to an illness or accident, you must contact Nurse Barb Kugel, 724-773-3955. Nurse Kugel works with Ms. Tress to aid students who have short-term special needs during the recuperation process.

Services for Students with Temporary Impairments - Penn State Resources

Below are some disability-related links you may find helpful:

Welcome from the Office for Disability Services (ODS)

Prospective Student Information

Current ODS Students

Definition of Academic Adjustments, Auxiliary Aids, and/or Services

Discrimination and Grievance Procedures

Transition Publication from the Office for Civil Rights: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/transition.html

Laws Impacting Higher Education and Disabilities

Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR): http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/cwp/view.asp?a=128&q=61197

University Access Committee (UAC) 

The mission of the UAC is to prioritize and fund barrier removal projects in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG). http://www.psu.edu/dept/aaoffice/accesscom.htm


For assistance or more information, please contact:

            Ms. Jill Tress, Coordinator and Disability Contact Liaison
            Center for Academic Achievement
            105 Ross Administration Building    
            100 University Drive 
            Monaca, PA  15061
            Phone: 724-773-3867

or contact:

            Penn State Office for Disability Services
            116 Boucke Building
            University Park, PA 16802 
            Phone: 814-863-1807 
            Fax: 814-863-3217
















To make arrangements to receive accommodations at Penn State Beaver for a documented disability, you will need to meet with the Disability Contact Liaison.  You may contact her by completing the "Disability Services Contact Form" listed in the left-hand, grey column, or you may contact her directly.

Ms. Jill M. Tress
Disability Contact Liaison
Center for Academic Achievement
105 Ross Administration Building